Gregg Carrier wrote:

> >Some said earlier that Opera has "let go" of its Linux team. I don't
> >know where they got their information. I would sure like to know.
> >
> >I just checked Opera's Alternative Operating Systems page. Opera for
> >Linux is NOT dead. On the contrary, it is moving along fast towards
> >completion. Here is the latest info from Opera's page at:
>
> Excuse me, but why is everyone so excited about Opera for Linux? I mean, you
> can get free browsers on almost any platform, and you can get just about
> everything free on Linux, but everyone wants to PAY FOR Opera? Why? Trying
> to sell a browser is a bad long-term plan. It just won't last in the face of
> freely downloadable competition. When I've used Opera, it wasn't anything to
> write home about. It just doesn't seem to me that this commercial browser is
> the solution the Linux community is looking for.

As a counter-argument, look around you...  Do you see any useful,
stable, open source browsers available?  Amaya?  It's a castoff.  Lynx?
Nice at the terminal, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.  Communicator?
We've been saddled with that lopsided horse long enough.  Mozilla?
Maybe someday.  What happened to Mnemonic?  It was supposed to be the
"killer browser", but faded into oblivion about 6 months prior to the
Mozilla announcement.

Face it, the open source community just doesn't find browsers "sexy" to
create.

I'm not any happier about the prospect for Opera.  It's been 2 years
since their initial announcement and it's STILL vaporware.  Maybe Opera
has a nice plan to just wait out the competition...

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator