Mark Ramsey wrote:

> I have just setup my 3rd Linux box, one on Redhat 6.1, another on Mandrake
> 6.1 and the new one is Suse 6.0.
> (Trying to learn all in the ins and outs to Samba and such)
> Anyway.....the main partition on the Suse box is 100% full.....I tried
> mv'ing directories like /usr and /tmp to the second partition and going to
> link to them there, but when I try I get the error "cannot move "filename"
> across filesystems: Not a regular file"
> Am I doing something wrong or will it really not let me move these files?
> Thanks in advance

You've discovered the "exception to the rule" of mv.  When moving across
filesystems, you cannot move the entire directory like you would within
a filesystem.

Use:

        cp -av <original_directory> <new_directory>

to copy it over.  So, to move /usr/lib to /mnt/newpoint/lib, use
something like:

        cp -av /usr/lib /mnt/newpoint/lib

That'll do it!

--