Angus Auld wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help with /etc/hosts, hosts.config & resolv.config
files
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 23:09:52 +0000

On Saturday 08 January 2005 19:24, Angus Auld wrote:

Greetings, I wonder if some kind soul here could instruct/inform me on how
I can properly config these files??
What should they contain and how should they look on my 10.1 system?

I just setup ADSL broadband, and I fear I messed things up a bit. ;-)
My broadband is working OK, but my local hostname is now "(none)",
as in "#gus@(none) gus".
I have been searching documentation and Google, but I'm still dumb
on this (and lots of other stuff too).

Help would be truly appreciated.

Best regards.

--Angus

Your Host name is set up in the file /etc/sysconfig/network Add a line in the format HOSTNAME=your_host_name.localdomain

(you can pick any name for your local domain, but do not use a Fully Qualified
Domain Name unless you actually own it. I just use 'localdomain' in my
network)

The file /etc/hosts defines a lookup table to match IP addresses to hostnames.
The only line that is essential in this table is
127.0.0.1               localhost

If you are using static addressing in your network then you should provide a
list of IP addresses in the network with their corresponding hostnames. You
can have multiple hostnames per IP address. For example
192.168.1.1     your_host_name.localdomain      server  downstairs-computer

/etc/resolv.conf  defines how your computer will try to resolve IP addresses
from hostnames. It should look somethng like
search localdomain
nameserver 192.168.1.251

This tells it to look in the local domain first, and then if the host is not
present to ask the named DNS server. You should use the IP address of your
ISPs DNS server, or a DNS proxy  (ADSL routers usually operate as a DNS
proxy) If you are using DHCP these settings will be automatically overridden
by the DNS server.

hosts.config is not familiar to me. I do not have that file.

HTH

derek

Thank you Derek for the reply. I am really new at this network stuff. :-)
I have been using dial-up for all my years of computing, and I just started using braodband now that it has finally come here to the boonies.

I edited some of the mentioned files, and my hostname is once again "localhost".
I changed my "eth0: Broadcom Corp BCM4401 100Base-T" connection to use DHCP Protocol, but now when I boot my comp, booting hangs at "bringing up eth0" for a long while, and finally fails trying to determine IP configuration. :-(
The part that puzzles me is that ppp0 comes up OK, and my connection is working great.
What gives here anyway? Doesn't ppp0 use my Broadcom nic???

I am dazed and confused. [8>/

Regards.

--Angus

I had the same problem - don't know what causes it, but the solution for me was to set the connection *not* to start at boot - once booted, open a terminal as root and do "ifup eth0" (without the quotes) and everything works from then on.

--
Regards
Margot