From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] What is urpmi?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:49:46 +0000

On Monday 24 January 2005 00:30, Mike Chalmers wrote:
SNIP

> I think I see what you are saying. If I wanted to install a program such as
> xdesktopwaves it will tell me that I need to have gcc installed and it will
> install the Mandrake gcc rpm file for me.
>
> Is urpmi only for Mandrake? Is what I am thinking correct?
>

> From,
>
> Mike Chalmers

urpmi is authored by MandrakeSoft, but being GPL any distro could use it.
It is a wrapper to rpm which is authored by RedHat.
Major distros like Suse and Debian have their own package management systems.

You will hear how Debians 'apt-get' is the best package management system
around. IMO urpmi is comparable.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

That is what I was wondering. Does Mandrake have it's on urpmi site?
From,
Mike Chalmers