Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Why not, in the 10.1 lilo.conf, change "boot=/dev/hda" to
>>> "boot=/dev/hda1". This way, lilo in 10.1 will write its boot loader, and
>>> information to the boot record of the root partition, instead of the
>>> MBR.
>>>

>> Mikkel, this sounds like what I'm looking for. But I am struggling
>> with it so far. I changed "boot=/dev/hda" to "boot=/dev/hda1" on my
>> 10.1 lilo.conf and ran "lilo" but I recieve and error at the end
>> something like "Fatal, unable to find default image".
>>
>> Do I need to install lilo into /dev/hda1 ?
>> For the 10.1 side that is.
>>

>>  If you want to keep your current setup, you can then copy the
>>

>>> changes from 10.1's lilo.conf to your mail lilo.conf. Or, if you don't
>>> mind seeing 2 boot loaders when running 10.1, you could change the 10.1
>>> entry to something like:
>>>
>>> other=/dev/hda1
>>>           label=Mandrake-10.1
>>>
>>> When you pick that entry, it will transfer control to the 10.1 boot
>>> loader. If you wanted to, you could turn off the splash screen, and the
>>> prompt, and give it a timeout of 10 seconds, before it boots. This is
>>> enough time to hit a key, and interrupt the boot sequence if you need
>>> to. Otherwise, a 10 second delay when booting 10.1 would not be too
>>> noticeable.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> Your first option sounds like the one I want go with. If possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> If you post your lilo.conf for 10.1, I can tell you what is wrong. From
> the error message, I suspect that the <lable> from your
> "default=<lable>" statment does not match any "lable=<label>" statment.
> So lilo dosent know what to do if it times out, or if you just hit
> "Enter". If you run "lilo -v", it will give you more information about
> what it is doing.
>
> Mikkel

You were right on the mark Mikkel, I did change the label. Here's my
lilo.conf. I'll correct the label and give it another try.

default="linux"
boot=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="linux10.1"
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
        vga=788
        read-only