On Saturday 12 February 2005 11:08 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Adolf wrote:
> > [REMOVED earlier text]
> >
> >>I was just doing some re-reading of your message. Your ZIP device should
> >>not be /dev/hdd. You say it is the slave on the first IDE channel?
> >>
> >>"Ribbon1: Lite On DVD writer and Zip 100"
> >>
> >>This would be /dev/hdb, not /dev/hdd. So this would be something like
> >>"/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0". I am still figuring out the naming
> >>conventions - I only have 1 device/cable on this machine, so I am
> >>guessing at the second device. In any case, you may want to check
> >>/var/log/dmesg to see wnat Linux is calling the device. It should list
> >>everything detected on the IDE bus, even if it doesn't know how to
> >>handle it. The names are directly from the device. Also, what does
> >>"ls /dev/hd*" show? Do you have a /dev/hdb? I wish I had an IDE ZIP
> >>drive here so I could check on it myself.
> >>
> >>Mikkel
> >
> > Here some IDE stuff from dmesg
> >
> > -------------------------------------
> > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> > idebus=xx PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
> > PIIX4: chipset revision 1
> > PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> >     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1420-0x1427, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:DMA
> >     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1428-0x142f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> > Probing IDE interface ide0...
> > hda: Maxtor 51536H2, ATA DISK drive
> > hdb: WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0, ATA DISK drive
> > Using anticipatory io scheduler
> > ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> > Probing IDE interface ide1...
> > hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
> > ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> >
> > ls /dev/h*
> > /dev/hda   /dev/hdb   /dev/hdb2  /dev/hdb6  /dev/hdc
> > /dev/hda1  /dev/hdb1  /dev/hdb5  /dev/hdb7
> >
> > I guess I need an hdd,  which is what I used in 9.2, but it was their at
> > 9.2 installation.
> >
> > How should I create hdd, and what should my fstab entry be? I am using
> > fat32 format on the disk. Should I format it to something else?
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hi Mike,
>   Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Too much going on here...
> Changing the format of the ZIP drive isn't going to help. Also, creatign
> /dev/hdd, and /dev/hdd4 probably  isn't going to help ether. The problem
> is that the ZIP drive isn't being seen as a harddrive, but as a IDE
> floppy drive. You ca try running "modprobe ide-floppy". I am not sure if
> the driver will handle it properly, or not. It should at least get you
> an entry in the /sys/bus/ide tree. Try it, and see what gets put into
> /var/log/messages when you do - it should help.
>   If I get a chance, I'll see what I can find on google about this, as I
> am sure you are not the first person to have an IDE ZIP drive under
> udev. When we get it working, you are going to have to write it up for
> the twiki web site...

> [...]

After I did as you suggested, messages contained:
------------
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: No disk in drive
Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: 98304kB, 96/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512 sector
size, 2941 rpm
Also if I run configure tool from harddrake it lists:

Misc
New devfs device: â/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4

Old device file: â/dev/hdd4

Model: âZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy

Disk controller:
Mike