Joe Marcom wrote:

> Steve:
>  Thanks. I would not have thought that I HAD to run a command line in X.

Well, I don't recall whether there's a link to control-panel from the
KDE menus or not.  I'd assume so.  Either way, the command line is alot
quicker (and much easier to describe!).

> Now, I have good news and bad news:  the good news is that your advice
> worked. Also, the dialog box shows that my printer was included during

Excellent!

> the install. The bad news is that I can print ONLY while in X, and I
> must run "printtool" each time.  Have I missed something simple, or is

What happens when you try to print?  Does it just not come out?  Do you
get an error message?  Try the command:

        lpr /etc/profile

from the command line.  Does it print?

Are there things stuck in the print queue?  Use the command 'lpq' to
see.  The 'lpc' command can sometimes be of help in sorting out
problems.  Give it a try and when the prompt comes up, type 'status all'
then 'restart all'.  That should at least get things out of the queue
(and post the info from status all, it will help to debug the problem).

> this a L-M oversight, akin to not making "sndconfig" part of the
> install? Regards,
> Joe

>From what I understand, there are technical reasons not to run sndconfig
during installation.  I'm not recalling exactly what they were, but it's
annoying either way.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator