UPDATE
I (sigh) reinstalled MDK again (10th time?) but I finally got everything
working ( so far). It took some tweaking, but I think it was worth it.
 My problems with the sound stemmed from the fact that the sound driver
emu10k1,was written for the 2.2.14-15mdk kernel version and at the time of
yesterday's post I was running the 2.2.14-1mdklinus version. It seems that
depending on the type and class of installation that I initially selected,
determined which kernel version was the default. I never performed the
'recommended' install, because I wanted to have control over using LILO (I
don't use it, I use a floppy disk to boot up MDK) So I've used the custom,
normal installation and version 2.2.14-15mdk was the default. here, my
CD/cdwriter needed tweaking (i.e. change IDE to SCSI emulation) but I kept
getting error messages I had no rule to *make* when I tried to run xconfig,
or menuconfig, just config (following the instructions on the  linuxgurus
site)
So I reinstalled , chose, expert-normal,
and just blindly selected everything.
here it seems that the default kernel was 2.2.14-1mdklinus. I could make
kernel compilations, get my CD drives working, but no sound ( this is where
I was yesterday).So I downloaded the tarball driver, followed the
instructions, and at the end, got a load of error messages, the prime one
being that "the emu10xxx, driver used is for kernel v.2.2.14-15mdk, and
you're using 2.2.14-1mdklinus". I must admit that I tried searching for the
appropriate driver, and even read a mini how-to, to correct these error
messages,  but it began to get extremely complicated, and yes frustration
set in, so... I reformatted the partition and yes, reinstalled MDK. This
time I chose the expert-development route and paid extremely close attention
to what was being installed (I'm sure I included stuff that I probably won't
use), especially if it had to do with the kernel. SO  I rebooted and watched
the scrolling messages fly by, the only error message that I got had to do
with the CD drives having bad blocks. I had version 2.2.14-15mdk again,with
sound and no access to the CD drives. This time though I was able to "make
xconfig" and recompile the kernel and .....
WHEW, everything so far is working Music , printer , internet. I know that
the reason why I chose to reformat/install so many times is because I didn't
really have anything to lose , just time and internet configurations. But
everything appears to be working... so far.