Thank you for your quick response. I am using automount at startup. I
have visited my current configuration through DrakConf and everything is
OK: the disks are user-mountable, read-only is unchecked and conversion
is binary. Please note that the "no setuid programs allowed" is checked
for DOS_hda1, DOS_sda1, 5, 6, 7 and 8. Is it necessary to have it
unchecked?

This is my current fstab:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/DOS_sda1 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /mnt/DOS_sdb5 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/sdb6 /mnt/DOS_sdb6 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/sdb7 /mnt/DOS_sdb7 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/sdb8 /mnt/DOS_sdb8 vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc5 swap_upgrade swap defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0

If I am understanding your suggestion, the fstab file should be:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/sda1 /mnt/DOS_sda1 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/sdb5 /mnt/DOS_sdb5 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/sdb6 /mnt/DOS_sdb6 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/sdb7 /mnt/DOS_sdb7 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/sdb8 /mnt/DOS_sdb8 vfat user,exec,nosuid,rw,umask=0,conv=binary 1 1

/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc5 swap_upgrade swap defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0

Am I right? Thank you very much for your assistance. I have seen another
message from A. Shoemaker referred to uppercase characters. Maybe it's
my case...

Manuel Castelao