duncan wrote:

> Can anyone please help
>
> Have sane installed as far as kpackage is concerned but cannot do
> anything with it from there.
>
> Do I need to do something after the src rpm has been rebuilt.It says
> inreadme go to top level directory and do ./configure then make and then
> make install            But where is the top level directory?

The 'src' indicates that you have to compile it, before you can use the
program. So use Kfind or equivalent to look for anything with sane - I have
'sane-1.0.2' in my 'home-dir'.  Enter that and run './configure', 'make'
and as root 'make install'. When you has done, try to look at the Xsane too
- most resent version is 0.58. The GIMP user manual describes rather well,
how to use it under GIMP.

> I have also tried downloading the tar.gz versions of sane glib and gtk
> but get problems with glib version not in path and so not recognized by
> the gtk or sane during their attempted configure and make and make
> install.

Personally I find the tar versions easyer to use - you know at once where
the source is installed.

> I m surely missing something fundamental.

Try to make a ./configure - it comes up with an error messages if it can't
'go trough' and then return them here (you can direct it to me, if you
like)

> PLease help before  I am insane.
>
> Regards duncan Bayne

Mogens Jęger