Okay.... before we all scream winmodem

It works with redhat linux 5.1 as /dev/modem .. ttyS1 as com2 irq 3  so its not a linux incompatibility issue.

in kppp .. modem query  ttyS0 shows  modem ready but gives no ATI responses.

 ttyS1 and others show ... sorry modem busy

the modem is a variant Lucent modem made for Compaq, so Ive found, installed, and tried the ltmodem module to no avail.  Ive also used setserial until im blue in the face.

Im convinced this mandrake package does not even "see" the modem.  the kudzu module (hardware dectection) gets a segment fault on bootup, and i have re-installed that package as well with no luck

Thinking I had a bad distribution, i bought another from a different source and still the same things are happening.  The remainder of the system seems to work very well.

My old redhat 5.1 package has several other problems but the modem and internet connection does work.

So im kinda damned if I do, damned if i don't.

Any ideas people??