Oliver Stieber wrote:

> if you  are running windows nt/98/95
>
> make
> local_machine\software\microsoft\wab read-only
> using regedit32
>
> create the following files
> c:\winnt\system32\MSKernel32.vbs
> c:\winnt\Win32DLL.vbs
> c:\winnt\system32\LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs
>
> and set the files to readonly,

Or simply remove Windows Scripting Host from the Accessories portion of
Windows Setup.  Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove
Programs->Windows Setup.

I get to be a bit glib about the "I Love You" mess.  We had a few
messages come in that were infected, but all of them were stopped at the
email gateway by filters that explicitly toss attachments that we don't
consider safe (.exe, .hta, .vbs, etc).  While sites around the city were
shutting down their external connections to "protect themselves", we ran
merrily through the entire day.

Our cleanup effort?  Deleting the "Found a bad attachment" messages from
the postmaster mailbox and watching the outgoing queue rise because of
closed SMTP servers on the remote side.

--
Steve Philp, MCSE/MCP+I
Network Administrator