WolfRyder wrote:

> I've installed mandrake 7 twice trying to get LILO to work right. Right
> now, I boot from the rescue floppy because LILO, which worked the 2nd time,
> would hang up my login screen in Win98. I have multiple users on my puter
> and where the user name and password goes, the whole thing would
> just....sit there!

LILO has absolutely nothing to do with that.  If you're able to boot
Windows, LILO is working correctly.  Strike your login problems up to
another Microsoft "innovation".

> Also, my monitor, which is a Delta DE 570, I got used and have no specs. We
> guessed on them on installation, but must have guessed wrong because my
> bootup puts me in the default screen, not KDE, even though I selected it.
> I'm figuring X didn't get configured right, but how do I do that when I
> don't know the correct settings for my monitor? I've looked on the net to
> try to track them down, but no luck. Found the webpage and all, but no specs.

Do you have any notion of what the maximum resolution of the monitor
is?  1024x768?  1280x1024?  Start with a "generic" monitor that supports
your max resolution.  From there, start at 640x480 and work your way
up.  I think you'll have better luck with this method than with asking
for the max resolution right off the bat.

The other thing you may want to check is that you're really booting into
graphical mode.  At the LILO prompt, enter "linux 5".  That will
guarantee that it tries graphical mode.

--
Steve Philp, MCSE/MCP+I
Network Administrator