On Fri, 5 May 2000, Michael wrote:

>> >Im sorry to be asking on here about a windows question, but i heard people saying
>that they scan their e-mails and said they might have gotten viruses from this
>newsgroup. So im using Mcafee and if there are any Mcafee people out there can u
>please help me. I feel sorta stupid :)
>> >
>> Indeed, accidentally someone posted an ActiveX virus on the group.
>> Viral stuff happens...
>
>> What is an activeX virus and i just joined on the 1st so do i need to worry?
>>        iread my mail w/ netscrape using the delete and next buttons- bad idea?

An "activex virus" is a virus written into an ActiveX
applet/program/whatever you call this. ActiveX stuff has low level access
to your computer when you run a Micro$oft environment, so it can nicely do
a lot of damage. Not all ActiveX controls are considered virusses. At
least, that is what I heard  ;-)

Paul

Happiness requires practice,
just like playing the violin.