Hi all,
        I recently installed a new motherboard from FIC.  It has the VIA 686B
southbridge chip and according to the Register it has a bug in it.  I have
found fixes for windows on the FIC and VIA websites but cannot find a way
to fix the bug for Linux.  My Mandrake is acting strange and I haven't
changed anything except the motherboard and cpu (AMD 850Mhz) .  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  I really want to get rid of windows but
can't until I can fix the bug.    Thanks
        Below is the article I read.   Sorry this is so long.  VIA, as of today,
has not posted anything regarding a fix.  Either that or I was looking in
the wrong place on there web site.
                     Data-corruption bug hits VIA chipsets
                     By: Tony Smith

                     VIA has confirmed a data-damaging glitch in its 686B
Southbridge
                     chip - a major part of the Taiwanese company's KT-133A
chipset -
                     and is working with mobo makers to prepare BIOS
updates to fix the
                     problem.

                     The southbridge part is used in the vast majority of AMD
                     Athlon-oriented mobos, primarily the KT-133, but it
can be used with
                     northbridge parts from the Apollo Pro 133, KX-133A and
AMD-76x
                     chipsets too. VIA said it is investigating the problem
to see how
                     many chipsets are affected.

                     The bug was uncovered by German hardware site Au-Ja!
It's not
                     exactly a common problem: the date corruption affects
large, 100MB
                     and up file transfers between two hard drives
connected to separate
                     IDE channels exchanging the data by DMA. Having a
Creative Labs
                     Soundblaster Live card in place seems to exacerbate
the problem.

                     VIA's BIOS fix works by adjusting a number of PCI
settings, which,
                     according to Tecchannel, suggests the problem is a
result of
                     competitive PCI access.

                     VIA told The Register that it is a BIOS issue, and it
will be posting a
                     fix on its Web site sometime next week. ®

                     Related Links
                     Au-Ja's initial report (in German)
                     Tecchannel's summary (in German)