---------------------------------
[33] Ruud on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Tomorrow I will be in the United dressing room with a wonderful
feeling, especially if you know that seven (United) players were in
the England selection.  But we also have two Irishmen in our team.
Now I hope I will come back with the same feeling after the match
against Ireland on September 1."

---------------------------------
[32] Rachubka in Antwerp misery
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Playing for Antwerp reserves against Anderlecht reserves saw our promising keeper be
hyper active for the wrong reasons as they went down 9-1 - but in an Antwerp side that
features 9 triallists

---------------------------------
[31] United reserves go down
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Teamtalk

'United's reserves are heading for Northern Ireland after last weekend's defeat to
Ajax in the final of the Hilversum tournament in
Holland. Brian McClair's side drew 1-1 with Vitesse Arnhem last Saturday, going
through on penalties, before suffering a 3-0 reverse to a talented Ajax Under-23 side
in the final.

The United second string included David May, Nicky Culkin, Ronnie
Wallwork, Jimmy Davis and Bojan Djordjic but needed an 86th minute
equaliser from Daniel Nardiello to take their first game to spot-
kicks.'

We now meet Linfield reserves at Belfast's Windsor Park on Tuesday, a real reserve
turn out with Utd's first team playing at Rovers on Wednesday.

---------------------------------
[30] Latest link with Van Gaal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Holland manager Louis van:

"I have always made sure my contracts contain a clause which allows me to evaluate my
position every two years. My agreement with the Dutch team is not due to expire until
2006 but I can leave after next year's World Cup if I choose. I could always then
decide to move to a club in England. Hopefully this will be my final job in football
because that would mean I have been a success. But nothing is certain."

---------------------------------
[29] You what
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Liverpool's Stephane Henchoz:

"I admit, that in the first half against Manchester United the ball struck my arm
after it had bounced up off my hip. However, that was accidental. In fact, I even
tried to pull my arm out of the way. I think the referee could see that it wasn't a
deliberate handball. As for the second incident, I can honestly say that the ball
never hit my arm."

---------------------------------
[28] Scouse stabs mother in back
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From footballnews.co.uk

'Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has sacked his agent/mother Berit
after becoming fed up with the press coverage involved in the
arrangement. Norwegian agent Einar Baardsen will now represent the £4million Anfield
summer recruit. Speaking to the Daily Mail, Berit Riise  confirmed: "John Arne has
felt that it's been a burden for him that  his mother is his agent. He doesn't fancy
the 'cry baby' label. It's  a natural process that he wants to separate career and
family. It's more dramatic than your kids wanting to move from home when
they grow up."

---------------------------------
[27] Swede offered new deal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bojan Djordic has been offered a new contract

"It was a big thing when I received the offer, I was called in by manager Alex
Ferguson.  He said that United want to invest in me for the future.  I was offered a
four-year contract.  I am proud that United give me a long-term contract. This season,
I will get to play in the league."

Commenting on his display in the Swedish U-21 side's defeat to Poland

"I feel my display was okay.  They kicked me all the time and it was
a clear penalty when I was hacked down by two men."

---------------------------------
[26] More from Choccy on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
'He comes over as a first class person who happens to be one of the
world's outstanding footballers. As I've said he wants to be involved and he has
proved that during what must have been a pretty hectic period of his life. I first
watched him in his Sampdoria days and thought he was special then. He has improved to
the point where he is the consummate professional. His performance for Argentina
againstItaly last season help the South American's dominate the midfield.

In Italy he was statistically top man in a number of categories - shots on goal,
passing and tackling. These are the qualities that
will be invaluable to United in the months ahead. When I say he will be a contender
for footballer of the year then I am not saying he is another Eric Cantona or a David
Ginola.

Nor am I saying he is going to be your classic goal scorer. It's his all round
contribution that will be so important. He will be a creator of chances, the man who
holds the key that will unlock defences. I think Juan had a reputation as a younger
player of being a bit of a character but all I can say is when it comes to training he
couldn't work harder.

His single minded application can be gauged from this story which
confirms his commitment to maintaining the highest of standards. At Lazio they would
more often than not have to turn on the floodlights at training in order for him to do
extra work at night, improving those aspects of his game he wanted to develop.

He is a major acquisition for United, that is unarguable, and one of the reasons along
with Ruud Van Nistelrooy why so many critics and some opponents have already said the
championship is a foregone conclusion.

There has not been nor will there be any suggestion of that from Sir
Alex Ferguson or any of his players. Sir Alex will have a vision of what he wants to
achieve for the club in the season ahead and we all know he had a list of players he
wanted to buy and these included Juan and Ruud and the young Irish keeper Roy Carroll.

Their arrival has freshened the squad, created a challenge to others, given everybody
a fresh impetus, something to go for and that can only be to the benefit of Manchester
United. Juan Veron comes across to me as the type who certainly recognises his own
ability, but will work as hard as is needed to ensure there are far more form days
than off days.

I know he has been very impressed by the welcome he has received from the players, the
whole staff at Old Trafford, plus the fans. He is well acquainted with the game from
the very highest level but even he seemed surprised by the aura that surrounds
everything to do with United. He'll have come to terms with that now and be ready for
the start of a long, long hard season beginning against Fulham.'

---------------------------------
[25] Choccy praises Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From EPL Soccer

'THE 2002 PLAYER OF THE YEAR?
There has never been any doubt in my mind about that having watched him perform in
Serie A and also with the Argentine national side. It was obvious that here was a
considerable talent - a player who lived up to his rating as one of the best
footballers of his
generation. Of course he will need time to adjust to a different style of play, a
different style of life. But if I can make a prediction then it will be this: come the
end of the season he will be a candidate for both the PFA and Football Writers
footballer of the year. I have watched him since his arrival and I'm impressed.

It is never easy to join a new club but it is so much harder to do so
when so much is different to what you have been used to. Yet he has eased his way in
effortlessly. His English isn't so good but never once has it stopped him joining in.
He'll sit down with the rest of the players for lunch when I'm sure he hasn't much
clue about what is being said round the table. It is his attitude, his determination
to be part of it all that is important. He is saying 'What you do is what I want to
do.'

There were suggestions he might be a bit aloof, standoffish - but
that just hasn't been the case. There hasn't been a hint of a problem
about big headedness, nothing.'

---------------------------------
[24] Corporate tickets for Fulahm still on sale
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
They are so loyal this prawn eaters

from official site

'Special matchday packages are still available for Sunday's opening
Premiership game against Fulham at Old Trafford. The packages are priced at £99 + VAT
and include a seat in the East  Stand for the game and a post-match meal and drink in
the Red Cafe. To book your place, please call the club's Commercial Department as soon
as possible on 0161 868 8220.'

---------------------------------
[23] Remember get your Stam book
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
As it comes out with 30% off - and help the RN site as well (can we ask for more. Well
yeah, an arm, leg, breasts would be nice too)

To order the Stam book go to

(link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007117086/rednewsunitesfir/026-9002227-4116437)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007117086/rednewsunitesfir/026-9002227-4116437

---------------------------------
[23] Oh Kevin, why do you open your mouth
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Keegan with some more nuggets to keep us amused

on Fowler links

'I don't think Robbie would come, simply because we are in the First
Division.'

Are you sure that's the only reason?

"But he is the sort of signing we have to make in the future if we
want to be a top-six side.  It would probably give the chairman a heart attack if I
wanted to sign Robbie, but I would like to bring a
player like him to Maine Road.  The timing might not be right because
we are not in the division where he wants to play. But next year we
could be."

Keegan on their quality keepers

"We have two very good young keepers, but I still think we need a
third."

How many people does it take to keep goalat city - surely two is enough to pick all
those balls out of the net. Boom, boom!

[22] Teddy made Spurs captain
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2001 by bar-knee: