Thomas,

If you stick to 100 ISO, you will soon find that f/5.6 is too slow in
many situations, especially with a tele lens. That's why I personally
switched from a 70-210 slow telezoom to a 180 2.8 fixed lens.
You may ask yourself how often you would need a 400mm or so over a
200mm, for instance. 400mm is pretty long and the gap between it and
your other lenses would be huge. I recommend considering the option of
getting a 180 2.8 plus a TC for the cases you really need a long lens.
If you can justify the 400mm, go for it, but forget about using a TC
with it (other than for special applications like moon shots). You will
probably feel the need for a shorter and/or faster lens, anyway.

Don't forget that you can crop a print after enlargement, and that the
loss in sharpness will be more limited that the one induced by shake,
when going from 1/250s @ 180mm, f/2.8 to 1/60s @ 400mm, f5.6.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas.