"Daniel I. Applebaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The FA also provides matrix metering with non-CPU lenses, but only
>with AI-S lenses, not AI or AI modified.

The FA (like the F4) DOES matrix meter true AI lenses if they have the
maximum aperture lug.  I don't know whether all do.  AI'd and non-Nikon AI
lenses do not have this lug (look at the back of the lens: the maximum
aperture lug is the stubby protrusion at about 7 o'clock).  Matrix metering
requires that the camera know the actual f/ratio of the lens so it can
estimate the brightness of the scene.  All AF Nikons except F4 obtain the
maximum aperture electronically only.

MLP