> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:13:20 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Krisada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Flash compensation & range scale on SB24 [v04.n202/2]
> Message: 2
>
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if someone can help explain...
>
> Why when I set the compensation of the SB24 say to -2EV
> (or any negative numbers), the range indicator on the back
> of the SB24 increases to greater distance? I was expecting
> it to be less distance if -2EV means I want 2 stop less
> light from the flash. Is something wrong with my SB24?
>
> thank you
>
> Krisada

Hi,

The range indicator on the back of your SB24 shows the distance you can
reach if the flash would fire with it's full power (no TTL-sensor
interruption). This means: if you need less light (-2EV), then the light
can reach (again at SB's full power) longer distance.

Example for SB26 (in meters):

GN:42
ISO:100 ASA
lens: 50mm
f-stop:5.6
Max. distance is 42/5.6=7.5 m

-2EV = f-stop=2.8
Max. distance=42/2.8=14.3 m

The requested EV compensation works at the moment of the exposure,
in your case the flash will be interrupted at -2EV situation (the
foreground object will be darker).

I hope it helps.

Bye.

Benjamin