Here's a one word explanation of why leader out is so important: time. I do
not have the time to pull out leaders with an extractor nor do I want to
fumble around in the dark trying to thread in film on a bent reel. I am
constantly faced with having to shoot and budget time in order to meet
deadlines. Leader out saves me anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes depending on
how many rolls of film I have and if I'm hand processing. Plus, it's just
bad lab etiquette where I come from to suck leaders into canisters and
leave them for our lab staff to pull out. Makes'em cranky. Leader out is a
necesity which Nikon should have made a custom function long ago. Believe
it or not, the application that programs leader out is an old DOS app. and
is strictly command line. Crazy.

And yes, Canon does own patents to several custom functions. I found this
hard to believe but I've heard it out of enough reps mouths on both sides
of the fence to believe it's the truth. Someone should do a patent search
and see if it turns up.

BTW - sorry my last email posted twice. I don't know if that was my fault
or the listserv but I apologize nonetheless.

Bob Croslin
Staff Photographer, The Tampa Tribune
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home1.gte.net/bcroslin/index.html