Personally, I haven't had the pleasure of using an F100 yet but it seems that
it is just about the answer to my request when the F5 came out of "Smaller and
simpler!!!"  Let's face it, the F5 is the most advanced camera on the market
and will do crazy amounts of things.  But do you need all that?  I don't.  I
wanted a smaller, simpler body than the hulking F5. I shoot sports but 8fps is
nuts. 5-6 fps is fine.  I don't need a removable prism or mirror lock up or a
color meter. I want a solid, small camera that is flexible. I currently use
N90s's and love them but the F100 is better built and for those very rare
times when I use AF it will be easier to use than my current setup.  The F100
is nothing more than the "Baby F5" that suits shooters like me. I'm in line to
get one.  It does seem that they were holding on to it and refining until the
last minute so that they could release it with the 28-70 AFS and the 80-200
AFS lenses.  As for the EOS3, BIG DEAL!  It's really competing against the F5.
Sure it's cheap, like most Canon gear in my opinion, but it's not built to
Nikon F standards.  My long time contention with multipoint AF systems is that
controlling the point of critical focus is so hard or impossible.  If you are
shooting in low light, or with a long lens or as I regularly do, at f/1.4-2,
you have to keep the persons eyes sharp. How can you control that with 45 AF
points, of which the camera is choosing?  Canon's "more is better" philosophy
is certainly not mine.  Better is often simpler.  I'll reserve final judgment
until I've put film through an F100 but I don't see any reason to think that
Nikon has anything to worry about from the EOS3 and the F100 fits the bill
asked for by working pros like myself.

Jonathan Castner
Photojournalist
Denver