I can't answer the other questions, but I'll try this one:
>Can I change to manual mode and spot meter and back to A and matrix
>without taking the eye from the finder (quick recall or good knob layout)?
>Is that possible with an F5?

The meter mode control is easily found and switched on both the F5 and the
F100. It's the program mode (Aperture-preferred to Manual and back) that
takes a bit of practice. Unfortunately, Nikon made the three buttons to the
rear of the shutter release exactly the same size and feel (AF mode,
exposure mode, and exposure compensation from left to right [from back of
camera--the user's position]). So you have to remember that program mode is
the middle one (and someone with small hands like mine has to run their
finger back and forth to make sure that I've got the middle one).
Fortunately, the viewfinder has all the information you need in it, so you
don't have to take your eye from the viewfinder IF you can remember it's the
middle button. I actually look forward to the F100, since the controls of
the N90s and the F5 are just enough different that I tend to pause a bit
when I switch cameras.

Thom Hogan
Executive Editor, BACKPACKER Magazine
author, The Nikon Field Guide (Silver Pixel Press)
www.bythom.com