I wrote:

This would be an interesting subject when I visit Ayers Rock, Australia next
February.

When I was in Australia, the locals pronounced it “AY-urz.”

Actually, it may not be as simple as this. The vowel sounds and syllables
are a bit different in Australian English. Perhaps the pronunciation is more
closely sort of somewhere in between the two-syllable “AY-erz” and the
one-syllable “airs” or “heirs.”

I can see how there can be confusion if Bill Ayers pronounces his name in
the Australian fashion.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist

Orinda, CA, USA