What if
1. When you create the node you actually copy a gizmo script to a location with
a unique name. If it needs to work across all scripts rather than in the one
script then I guess skip the unique name
2. Have an update button in the node which effectively rewrites that gizmo with
all the changes and
3. replaces all nodes referencing that gizmo with the new one.

It would require stopping the user from making new uniquely named nodes, or a
function that would (like force clone) set all similar nodes to only one
version (and remove/archive the others?) of the external gizmo.
And it could check the script for the node and alert the user to whether or not
they wanted to start a new version or use a copy(clone) of the already created
version

Not as immediate but has the slight advantage that if you screw it up you could
always go back to another version in the script until you update.

Would that work?

Howard