On Jan 13, 2024, at 6:28 PM, Justin Choponis <jus...@choponis.us> wrote:

> I have a Cyber Power LE1000DG UPS I got from Best Buy this weekend. I plan to
> use it with a TrueNAS scale system, and it is connected via USB. Vendor link:
> https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/le1000dg/.
>
> TrueNAS has you pick a UPS driver. I could not find any “LE” related models
> on https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html (which is the list TrueNAS
> uses). Per your guidance on that page, I tried one that I hoped was
> compatible: “Cyber Power Systems ups 2 Value 800E USB (usbhid-ups)”. Every
> Cyber Power system with USB on the list there seems to use usbhid-ups anyway
> – so perhaps picking any of them is reasonable?

Picking anything that maps to usbhid-ups does seem reasonable, though it's
possible that they pass additional options for certain models (I think FreeNAS
does this). I don't know of any that are needed for CPS, though.

>  I can have the TrueNAS system power down when power is lost and the UPS runs
> on battery, but I see occasional messages about communications being lost
> with the UPS (saying “Statistics could not be recovered”). I also see
> statistics being gathered in other alert messages (like it is working fine).

No mention of stability issues for LE825G:
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2013-November/006563.html
(but I don't know different the DG and G models differ)

It is probably worth skimming some of the issues here to see whether there is
any wisdom applicable to your case:
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues?q=+label%3A%22CyberPower+%28CPS%29%22+label%3A%22Connection+stability+issues%22

Different versions of the underlying OS and NUT might handle things
differently, but I don't think I have run across this particular issue (my CPS
UPS is currently on a Mac, so I don't see connect/disconnect logs). The usual
hardware suggestions are to swap out the USB cable, and try a powered USB hub.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail