On Apr 13, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Eric Cobb <eric_c...@tripplite.com> wrote:

> Here are the output log files as requested.
[...]
> If I leave the driver alone it does not eventually start.  It continues to
> report that it is unable to connect.  I have to perform a upsdrvctl stop ;
> upsdrvctl start (I actually just perform a init stop and start so that upsd
> and upsmon both restart) for the driver to actually connect to the ups.
>
> I have attached an strace of the upsdrvctl start command when it is ran at
> boot time via the init script. I'll let the experts make their assessment of
> what is going wrong.

Hmm, the two logs you attached don't seem to contain the error you mentioned.
Was the debug output from boot time?

This part of dmesg looks normal:

usb 1-1.1: new low speed USB device number 3 using ehci_hcd
usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=09ae, idProduct=0001
usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1.1: Product: TRIPP LITE SMART500RT1U
usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: Tripp Lite
usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
generic-usb 0003:09AE:0001.0001: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [Tripp
Lite  TRIPP LITE SMART500RT1U ] on usb-0000:00:16.0-1.1/input0

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail