On May 14, 2018, at 4:47 PM, matthew.koundakj...@engility.com wrote:

> Charles, thank you for the thoughtful and helpful reply!
>
> The ACNC box uses an RS232 serial interface for UPS connection.

Whoops, I thought I saw something about USB in your original email.

A null-modem serial cable would be easier to build (for the smart interface),
but I think a good portion of what I mentioned applies to serial as well as USB
(on the software side). It would probably be a lot simpler to emulate a serial
UPS than a USB UPS. You still might get more APC-specific information from the
apcupsd.org lists, though the code for either the NUT apcsmart serial driver or
the equivalent apcupsd serial driver would be a good starting point to build
such an emulator.