Thanks you are correct I didn't have upsd running.

pi@vpn02alp:/usr/local/ups/bin $ ../sbin/upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.7.4-2124-g9defa7a9
fopen /var/state/ups/upsd.pid: No such file or directory
/usr/local/ups/etc/upsd.conf is world readable
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
listening on ::1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [Liebert]: usbhid-ups-Liebert
/usr/local/ups/etc/upsd.users is world readable
pi@vpn02alp:/usr/local/ups/bin $ ./upsc Liebert
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 20
battery.charge.warning: 0
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 0.0
battery.voltage.nominal: 0.0
device.mfr: Emerson Network Power
device.model: Liebert GXT4
device.serial: 1718700042AFB93
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.productid: 0000
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4-2124-g9defa7a9
driver.version.data: Belkin/Liebert HID 0.17
driver.version.internal: 0.43
ups.mfr: Emerson Network Power
ups.model: Liebert GXT4
ups.productid: 0000
ups.serial: 1718700042AFB93
ups.status: OL CHRG
ups.vendorid: 10af

The results are similar to the package available for the RPI.  I should
also mention that I moved to an RPI4 during this if you notice
inconsistencies between my newer and earlier posts.  I also upgraded the
firmware of the RPI to the latest because of issues I saw connecting to a
CyberPower UPS.