On Fri, 20 Aug 2021, Jim Klimov via Nut-upsuser wrote:

It is a bit unclear what "or otherwise and Combined date and time representations" means. An example of ISO 8601 date representation (one of many offered by the standard) "or otherwise"? Which combined date and time would we take - e.g. YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ (literal T separator and Z for "zulu" UTC timezone)? Or with dashes and colons? Or...?

Since we are concerned only with dates, and not time of day, things are a little simpler. We follow ISO 8601 clause 5.2.1 Calendar dates, and we don't have to worry about timezones. The only real choice is between the format YYYYMMDD and YYYY-MM-DD. Since our dates are intended primarily for humans it seems better to use the format YYYY-MM-DD which has better readability. It's always possible to extract the YYYYMMDD number if this is eventually needed.

Roger

See also RFC 3339 "Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps"