On Jun 9, 2023, at 5:25 AM, Nichole Kaligian via Nut-upsuser
<nut-upsuser@alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Every guide I'm finding is connecting their NUT server to the UPS directly.
> Is there no option to monitor a network-attached UPS? On its IP or hostname?
> This was my first assumption when looking at a product called 'Network UPS
> Tools', but it seems I'm misunderstanding? Thanks for any advice you can give
> me.

TBH those guides exist because the most common small UPS models don't have
network connections, and therefore you need additional software like NUT to
serve power status over the network. Without knowing your UPS model or system
version, I'm still going to hazard a guess that the vendor of your
network-connected UPS provides a network-based shutdown solution for you
already, and many people are going to opt for that direct approach (rather than
inserting NUT in the middle).

There are a few drivers for network-connected UPS models, and the correct
driver depends on the protocol that the UPS uses. Probably the most common
network UPS protocol is SNMP:
https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/snmp-ups.html but there is also a driver
for Eaton's XML/HTTP protocol:
https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/netxml-ups.html (see NUT FAQ #43
https://networkupstools.org/docs/FAQ.html )

You can find out whether your UPS is well-supported by filtering on
"Connection=Network" on the Hardware Compatibility List:
https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html?connection=Network (note that while
some UPSes may use SNMP, information can still be in vendor-proprietary
extensions, and therefore not immediately accessible to the generic SNMP driver)

- Charles