Doug Parsons wrote:
Suse10 uses Udev as a control to the devices and creates them each time the system boots. Thus the mode and ownership is lost on shutdown. What you need to do is create an entry for udev to use to create a static device for you so that it will remain constant.

I am not sure how Suse handles it but Redhat uses a folder in /etc/udev/devices to store a copy of the desired device that udev will create on boot up with needed permissions.

So the real issue is that you were in the wrong FM. Don't feel bad, it took me several hours to figure it out.
Doug

Thanks again to all who replied. Now that I know the magic word I'm looking at the man pages.
Rich