>> Disconnecting a UPS from a live server and testing it at a separate
>> workstation is a MUST if you're not absolutely sure the configuration is
>> correct. I would never use an UPS on a production system without double
>> checking that monitoring works. Otherwise your investment gives you a
>> false sense of security.

[...]

> But anyway, I will do it in a free day next week and test things out on a
> spare proliant server I 'm lucky to have right now.

While you're at it, try the UPS on a Windows machine with the bundled
software to exclude that the UPS or serial cable are the culprits. It's a
long shot, but you wouldn't be the first to find out that there is a
problem in that area. It also guarantees that the UPS is indeed compatible
to the UPSmart software.

[...]

> I definately will complain to sweex!  I will ask them to send me the
> manage software for linux. As they claim on their website it's supported.

Don't hold your breath. And chances are that they direct you to a shoddy
binary only package for RedHat 6.2 or some other ancient Linux version,
which isn't very useful anymore.

>> If it should 'just work' and you don't find enjoyment in trying to make
>> it work, do yourself a favor and indeed swap it for one that is better
>> supported by the manufacturer (MGE indeed comes to mind, since they
>> officially sponsor NUT).
> Don't get me wrong. I enjoy searching for things and trying to make things
> work the right way.
> I would never use opensource if I didn't enjoy this, would I?
> But this time it's just to critical and I'm to much in a rush to get this
> working.

That's exactly what I meant. Personally I enjoyed reverse engineering the
SafeNet protocol and writing a driver for it. And I don't feel too bad
about Sweex providing erronous information on their website and not
willing to provide the details on the device needed to write a driver.
However, as a professional I would be outraged if I had to spend hours and
hours on a €75 UPS trying to make it work because I need it so badly. In
that case, you'd better invest a few euros more and buy a device that is
really supported by the manufacturer (MGE for instance).

[...]

>> That version is already quite old, we're at 2.0.4 already, with 2.0.5
>> lurking just around the corner.
> Yes I know, but I tried to keep the system as much as possible with the
> stable brand.
> But If it wouls solve my problems I could of course grab nut from unstable
> or testing.

Don't bother. Although there were some changes in genericups, the're not
major and unlikely to be the root cause of your problems.

If you're willing to try a few more things, comment out the part in the
NUT startup script where 'upsmon' is started/stopped and fire it up. With
'upsc [EMAIL PROTECTED]' you should be able to see the status of the UPS,
without the risk of shutting down your system when things are not
configured properly. Try at least /dev/ttyS[0-3] with the UPS in different
serial ports on your server. Remember to stop the script before modifying
and starting it again. Good luck!

Kind regards,
Arjen