Citeren Manzoor e Elahi <manzoor.e.el...@gmail.com>:

Thanks for your replay. Actually my UPS uses a lite version of that software
and only reports mains on/off, ups on/off and ups connected/disconnected
status. I also think the genericups driver should work and tried all the
driver types without any luck. Unfortunately I can't afford to ditch the UPS
right now. I'll try the serial sniffing technique or use a multimeter to
find out what's happening through the serial port. I've some experience with
those. Can you give me some idea what I should be looking for?

In case of contact closure devices, the easiest way to find this out is by using a RS-232 breakout box. You would find these in the toolbox of any engineer dealing with TTY consoles on mainframes a few decades ago. See for an example

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_box

I actually have the model that is depicted on this page. This will indicate the status of the modem control lines by means of colored LEDs, making it very easy to see what happens. You could probably also do this with Portmon for Windows, by this requires more effort on your side. See

If you can lay your hands on a RS-232 breakout box, the few bucks you might need to pay for it are well worth it.

One more question. Is it possible to use a USB to serial cable for a serial
UPS with generic UPS driver? This combination works in Windows with the
official software but what about NUT? Is any special configuration required
for this?

This depends on whether or not your kernel supports this device. If it is supported, usually a /dev/ttyUSBn (n = 0..15) port will be created by the kernel. You then connect the genericups driver to this as if it was a regular serial port.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  Please do not top-post on this list.
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)