Ok, thanks. I also read a bunch of other posts on this. However, I can't figure out the right parameters to the add_drv or update_drv command:

$ pfexec /usr/sbin/add_drv -m '* 0660 nut ups' -i 'usb5/2' ugen
("usb5/2") already in use as a driver or alias.

$ pfexec /usr/sbin/update_drv -m '* 0660 nut ups' -i 'usb5/2' ugen
devfsadm: driver failed to attach: ugen
Warning: Driver (ugen) successfully added to system but failed to attach
$

The "usb5/2" I'm using comes from

$ /usr/sbin/cfgadm -lv usb5/2
Ap_Id Receptacle Occupant Condition Information
When         Type         Busy     Phys_Id
usb5/2 connected configured ok Mfg: Tripp Lite Product: TRIPP LITE UPS NConfigs: 1 Config: 0 <no cfg str descr> unavailable usb-input n /devices/pci@0,0/pci103c,2a6c@2:2
$