On Jun 2, 2014, at 12:25 PM, Andreas Lausch / TBT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> On 2014-05-29 05:21, Charles Lepple wrote:
>>> Now my questions:
>>> 1. should the blazer_ser's high voltage be the voltage during charging
>>> or right after I've unplugged it from the mains?
>> sounds like during charging (or more accurately, during float charging at
>> the end of the cycle):
>>
>> http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/blazer.html#_extra_arguments
>
> Are you sure? If I put the 27.4 (reported voltage @ 100%) in the config,
> battery.charge drops immediately when unplugged, because the reported
> battery.voltage then is only 26.xV. (But I'm not sure the battery was at
> 100% when I saw the 26.xV)

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't rely on a charge percentage derived this way ;-)

As mentioned in the other thread about the tripplite_usb driver, apart from
having two sets of calibration constants, one for OL and one for OB, there is
no good way to have a one-size-fits-all calibration.

My answer was based on the documentation, but you could make a case for the
on-battery voltage.

>>> 2. should the blazer_ser's low voltage be 21.6V (Low) or 19.2V (Shutdown)?
>> From the calculations, I would guess 19.2V. In general, the LB signal comes
>> when the battery is around 30%, so that there is still some charge left
>> while the load is powering down.
>
> Yeah, I think so too.

Either way, the UPS is making the LB determination, so if I had to rely on the
low end of the charge scale, I'd test it.

>>> 3. Is there any way I can submit the high/low values, so they get
>>> integrated into the driver or doesn't blazer_ser support voltage presets
>>> per model?
>>
>> It doesn't look like it.
>>
>> Also, the blazer* drivers are no longer maintained, and are being replaced
>> by the nutdrv_qx driver (which uses very similar code for these
>> calculations, but the model-specific code is organized differently).
>

>> A comment in qx_initbattery() implies that some UPSes can provide the
>> battery voltage range. You might try that driver (available in 2.7.1 and
>> later) to see if it does this automatically. If not, you can check with the
>> driver author to see about integrating some per-model defaults.
>>

> Afaik blazer_* supports the same feature, but the power walker usvs don't
> seem to report anything.
>
> I'm using NUT 2.6.3 from the Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS repo and I have to stick to
> that until 14.04.1 LTS comes out (July 24th) :/
> Anyway, looking at the subdrivers nutdrv_qx_*.c, I see neither a
> "battery.voltage.high" nor the idea to make model-specific
> assumptions/presets (only brand-specific (protocols)).

We should probably look into ways to make it easier to build custom .deb files
for Ubuntu.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@gmail