On Tue, 4 Apr 2017, Arnaud Quette wrote:

Hi Jon, Stuart and the list

      Which NOTIFYCMD is run when there is an ALARM?
      Have you specified that in your upsmon.conf?

      And that is the question of the hour.  How do you specify that?  Note
      that this is not the REPLBATT status we are talking about.

It's true that upsmon doesn't deal with ALARM, and that's definitely something
missing.

What about adding a <notify type> "ALARM" to upsmon (and its .conf), and have
it processing like other notifications?
That would mean to you can have WALL / SYSLOG notifications, along with EXEC
reaction if NOTIFYCMD is set.

Hi Arnaud, It seems to me that, looking out into the future, there are three things upsmon needs:

1. A fall-through <notify type> of "UNKNOWN" so that all status changes, no matter how wierd, can be caught. Such a catch-all <notify type> would also have caught the "ALARM" from the old battery.

2. A UPS specific option in the NOTIFYFLAG and NOTIFYMSG declarations as already provided by the AT declaration in upssched.conf. This would make it possible to have messages and action specific to a UPS, in a multi-UPS configuration.

I would like to be able to specify

   NOTIFYMSG myups@localhost      ONBATT "%s: local UPS on battery"
   NOTIFYMSG bigups@server        ONBATT "%s: Server room alert: UPS on battery"

   NOTIFYFLAG myups@localhost     ONBATT SYSLOG+EXEC+WALL
   NOTIFYFLAG heartbeat@localhost ONBATT SYSLOG+EXEC

3. A <notify type> "ALARM" as you propose.

Best Regards, Roger