Hi Phil,

I don't have an answer to your question about the lack of LAN ports, but
can offer my experience with NUT for a home server environment.  I've
tended to prefer the Tripp-Lite UPS systems, mainly because I originally
felt they did a good job of power filtering.  I use a NUT master running on
a Raspberry Pi 3 which is easy to maintain and gets current updates via its
Debian roots.  I have two environments, one with a much older UPS which has
only serial, but the addition of a tiny card with a MAX3232 level-shifter
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11189 allows the RPi to communicate
nicely, the second environment uses a USB connection from the RPi to the
UPS.  Both work very well with NUT, and then communicate with NUT clients
on the other systems.  I like that the RPi allows me to separate the NUT
master function from the main virtualization hosts, currently CentOS/KVM in
this case.

The real key is to ensure NUT supports the UPS, and then from there an
effort to use currently supported versions of NUT on a platform which is
receiving updates & life is quite good.

--Larry

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fah...@fahnoetech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com