I've told systemd to wait up to 10 minutes for startup but it's still
failing. Sometimes it fails with "timeout exceeded" and sometimes with
the ASN error previously reported.

I went back to running upsdrvctl -D to see if I could see anything. On
the third run I saw messages about "startup timer elapsed" for ups2-1
and then it tried again to launch that one (killing the existing one).
It did this multiple times. When trying to systemd I see a bunch of
zombie processes that used to be snmp-ups for one of ups2-1 or ups3-1
(depending on the run).

I'm trying again with
 /etc/systemd/system/nut-driver.service.d/nut-driver.conf set to:
  [Service]
  TimeoutSec=600
and
 /etc/ups/ups.conf having
  maxretry = 10
  retrydelay = 15

This time ps shows three apparently happy snmp-ups processes but
upsdrvctl start is still showing up. ... and then everything vanishes
but systemd doesn't complain. journalctl -xe shows a good startup then
claims nut-driver.service isn't needed anymore and shuts it down:

Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] snmp-ups[14578]: Startup successful
Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] upsdrvctl[14556]: Network UPS Tools - UPS
driver controller 2.7.2
Dec 04 10:17:52 [redacted] systemd[1]: Started Network UPS Tools - power
device driver controller.