Michael & Lincoln,

It's great to see you two working on this.  In general, this is best done via
JIRA, really.  The "process" is roughly as follows:
* Open a new JIRA issue, describing what it's about, what you are trying to
solve
* Prepare a patch locally, off of nutch trunk/head, naming it after the JIRA
issue (e.g. NUTCH-123.patch)
* Attach the patch to the JIRA issue (need to check that ASL radio button on
upload page)

This way your "status" is maintained in JIRA for others to see and Nutch
committers can take the patch from there when it's ready, apply it, test it,
and commit it, or provide feedback via JIRA.

Again, thanks for doing this!

Otis