On 2010-04-07 18:54, Doğacan Güney wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 20:23, Andrzej Bialecki <a...@getopt.org> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-06 15:43, Julien Nioche wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I gather that we'll jump straight to  2.0 after 1.1 and that 2.0 will be
>>> based on what is currently referred to as NutchBase. Shall we create a
>>> branch for 2.0 in the Nutch SVN repository and have a label accordingly for
>>> JIRA so that we can file issues / feature requests on 2.0? Do you think that
>>> the current NutchBase could be used as a basis for the 2.0 branch?
>>
>> I'm not sure what is the status of the nutchbase - it's missed a lot of
>> fixes and changes in trunk since it's been last touched ...
>>

> I know... But I still intend to finish it, I just need to schedule
> some time for it.
>
> My vote would be to go with nutchbase.

Hmm .. this puzzles me, do you think we should port changes from 1.1 to
nutchbase? I thought we should do it the other way around, i.e. merge
nutchbase bits to trunk.

>>> * support for HBase : via ORM or not (see
>>> NUTCH-808<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-808>
>>> )
>>
>> This IMHO is promising, this could open the doors to small-to-medium
>> installations that are currently too cumbersome to handle.
>>

> Yeah, there is already a simple ORM within nutchbase that is
> avro-based and should
> be generic enough to also support MySQL, cassandra and berkeleydb. But
> any good ORM will
> be a very good addition.

Again, the advantage of DataNucleus is that we don't have to handcraft
all the mid- to low-level mappings, just the mid-level ones (JOQL or
whatever) - the cost of maintenance is lower, and the number of backends
that are supported out of the box is larger. Of course, this is just
IMHO - we won't know for sure until we try to use both your custom ORM
and DataNucleus...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><