1/15/14 Southwestern Essex Co. - Newcomb and Minerva

I found Red Crossbills in three different locations in Minerva this morning.
They were singing, calling, gritting, preening, and the males acted a bit
aggressive toward one another.  Most of the birds appeared to be paired, but
they joined together in a larger group for gritting.  I observed two males
and a female gritting.  The female stayed close to one of the males and kept
moving away from the other male.  Two years ago, Red Crossbills (&
White-winged Crossbills) nested in a corridor from Minerva-Newcomb-Long
Lake-Raquette Lake-Inlet.  It appears they may be nesting in the same areas
once again.  I will visit many of the prior nesting locations in the next
week or two.  Up until today, I only heard one Red Crossbill calling outside
our Long Lake house in early December this fall/winter season.  I heard what
sounded like Type 10 and Type 2 Red Crossbills at the same location today.
I spent about 2 hours at one location where there were at least 6 (which I
saw all at once) - and I suspect there are many more.  I posted a few photos
on my Facebook page below.  I was ecstatic today!!!

While I was observing the Red Crossbills, a Black-backed Woodpecker
rattle-called behind me.  I ignored it to keep watching the crossbills!  Two
Pileated Woodpeckers called, drummed, and flew around also.  I hiked part of
the Roosevelt Truck Trail and found at least 8 Boreal Chickadees (one flock
of at least 5, at least 2 at another location, and at least one a good
distance from the trail).  A Black-backed Woodpecker called from the forest
along the trail.  There were 10 Snow Buntings at the Newcomb golf course.  A
female Common Raven was giving the knocking call (my favorite vocalization
by this species!) along Route 28N just before the Newcomb/Minerva town line.
She finally flew off and continued to give the knocking call as she flew!
At least 15 Common Ravens were gathered at the Long Lake deer-dump location
along Route 28N at the edge of town around 3 p.m.

1/13/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.) to the Lake Champlain Valley (Essex Co.)
and on to Vermont

I had a very nice day out with two birders from Staten Island on Monday.
Some of the species found:

Amer. Black Duck

Redhead - one male with Common Goldeneye at Westport

Lesser Scaup

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Common Merganser

Horned Grebe

Bald Eagle - several

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1!  This is a new late date for Essex Co. and quite a
surprise!  (I took several bad photos if anyone is interested!)  The
location was in the town of Moriah along Route 22 just north of Port Henry.
The hawk was sitting above an open-water stream.

Rough-legged Hawk - several

Iceland Gull - 1

Glaucous Gull - 1

Great Black-backed Gull

Snowy Owl - the Magic Triangle bird and one in Addison VT (we decided to
drive to the Northern Hawk Owl location, so we didn't spend any time driving
around Addison)

Northern Hawk Owl - we observed the Waterbury, VT owl across its small
hunting field, but it was a bit too far to photograph.  Just as were about
to leave, it flew right toward me and landed in a dead snag about 20 feet
away at eye level!  I took 250 photos - a few are posted on my Facebook page
below.  Tractor trailers roared by and photographers talked and snapped
photos, but the owl appeared oblivious to all this noise and was intently
listening for voles below its perch - remarkable!  We left to make the last
ferry of the day (Charlotte-Essex Ferry) with the bird still 20' away at eye
level - that was hard to walk away from!

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 (a pair);  We stopped on the Blue Ridge Road at
a place that I often find Boreal Chickadees, and instead, we found a pair of
Black-backed Woodpeckers - our first birds of the day!

Tufted Titmouse - a feeder on Middle Rd. in Essex

Eastern Bluebird - a flock on Middle Rd. in Essex

Cedar Waxwing - two flocks - ~30 and ~10 - we checked every one for
Bohemians! (Clark Rd. and Whallons Bay Rd. in Essex)

In my post of 1/7/14, I forgot to mention that the Northern Hawk Owl
vocalized quite a bit that day (late morning).  It was wonderful to hear it!
I didn't hear any vocalizations from the owl on 1/13/14 (late afternoon).

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home