2/5-6/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

I spotted a male Purple Finch among the hoards of American Goldfinches at
our feeders today.  Yesterday, 2/5/14, was this winter's peak for the number
of goldfinches and seed consumed at our feeders.  A Sharp-shinned Hawk
dispersed them all for a short time yesterday.  It has certainly been
unusual to have Amer. Goldfinches at our feeders in winter - and in such
remarkable numbers.  (Amer. Goldfinches and Purple Finches generally leave
our area in late fall.)

2/4/14 Franklin and St. Lawrence Counties

I took a drive on Tuesday to St. Lawrence Co.  I stopped at the dead deer
drop on Route 458 in Santa Clara, and found two adult Bald Eagles that took
flight and were joined in a thermal by two Common Ravens.  This was an
unusual sight, so I kept observing.  One of the ravens began to attack one
of the eagles - smashing into the eagle's back over and over.  The eagle did
not fight back and eventually the eagle pair flew off.

There were Common and Hooded Mergansers on a small section of open water on
the St. Regis River.  At Hawkins Point, there was an Iceland Gull (photos on
my Facebook page - link below), Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, and Common and
Hooded Mergansers.  I found an active Porcupine in a tree along Haverstock
Road.  There were large numbers of waterfowl in the St. Lawrence River along
Haverstock Road, but they were far away, and it was nearly dark.  A Barred
Owl flew across the road in front of my car in Childwold as I drove home.

2/1/14 Minerva in Essex Co.

At an area where Red Crossbills appear to be getting ready to nest, a Gray
Jay was vocalizing amid many Blue Jays.  I imitated a Gray Jay call, and the
bird flew toward me.  It perched and vocalized for several minutes.  The
Blue Jays continued to call.  The Gray Jay suddenly gave its loud
raptor-sounding vocalizations.  As it did, a Boreal Chickadee started to
vocalize, and 3 Red Crossbills flew in!  Matt Young analyzed my terrible
iPhone recordings from this area, and he is 99% sure there are Type 1 and
Type 10 Red Crossbills on the recordings - he said he is sure enough to
count them as such.  Interesting!

On a brief hike of the Roosevelt Truck Trail, I startled a Ruffed Grouse (it
startled me more), and I found a female Black-backed Woodpecker that I
observed for a long time (photos on my Facebook page below).  I also found 2
Boreal Chickadees, and a vocalizing Evening Grosbeak - in the exact same
location where I found several that I posted on 12/4/13.

On my drive back to Long Lake, I spotted over 20 Common Ravens at the Long
Lake dead deer dump location (near the town sign on Route 28N).

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home