I had a lovely holiday weekend of birding - out with a couple from northern
NJ on Saturday and Sunday, and with a group of 4 birders from NYC/Long
Island on Monday.

Monday, 2/17/14 Boreal habitat areas in western Essex Co., northern Hamilton
Co., and southern Franklin Co.  (Bitter cold: it was -11 when we began, but
it was a gorgeous blue-sky winter day with not a cloud!)

Some of the species found on Monday:

Wild Turkey

Bald Eagle

Black-backed Woodpecker - male along Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - at least 6 in Bloomingdale

Boreal Chickadee - 4; 3 in Minerva and 1 in Bloomingdale (photos on my
Facebook page below of a Boreal Chickadee foraging on Tamarack cone seeds)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Amer. Tree Sparrow

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - 12 in 3 different Minerva locations (8, 2, and 2)  There was
a close call for a Red Crossbill gritting when a snowplow came through.
(BTW, Matt Young "typed" the recording I sent him on 2/13/14 - here is part
of his reply: "This is of Type 10, the most common type in the northeast
from ADKS northward through southern Maritimes."  Thanks Matt!)

Sunday, 2/16/14 Boreal habitat in Minerva, Lake Champlain Valley,
Essex-Charlotte Ferry, and areas in VT

Birders in Vermont have been posting the remarkable waterfowl along the
Essex-Charlotte Ferry route across Lake Champlain.  The ferry is keeping a
channel of open water across the lake, so hundreds (thousands?) of birds are
congregated at this location with 15 species reported on 2/15/14, including
a male Tufted Duck.  We arrived on the Essex side with only a few minutes
before driving onto the ferry - we should have allowed more time because
there were hundreds of birds on the NY side and no time to scan them all.
The ferry runs every hour (top of the hour on the NY side and half hour on
the VT side) and flushes the birds - they return once the ferry heads back
out.  As our ferry approached the dock in Charlotte, a female Common
Goldeneye was sound asleep on the ice in the ferry's path.  The attendant
said, "I don't think that one is going to make it" - it was so upsetting,
but the bird awoke and missed being crushed by only a couple inches.  We
spent about 30 to 45 minutes on the VT side and it was remarkable to be so
close to so many ducks!  We didn't spot the Tufted Duck and no other birders
at the location had observed it that morning - so I had to wonder if it was
over on the NY side!  Just before we left Charlotte, it occurred to me to
take a photo of the male Barrow's Goldeneye we had been observing (bad
scope/iPhone photo on my Facebook page).  I could have stayed at this
location all day!

Another note of interest from VT:  On Ellie George's suggestion (Ellie is on
the NY side of Lake Champlain), Ian Worley organized a Snowy Owl count in
Addison Co.  This area has been a remarkable magnet for Snowy Owls this
winter, and I've been wondering how many are actually in this region.  In
just a few days, Ian organized over 40 volunteers to count the owls on
Sunday!  For results, and other interesting information about this area of
VT, see Ian's post at: http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=628423
<http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=628423&MLID=VT&MLNM=Vermont>
&MLID=VT&MLNM=Vermont .

Some of the species found on Sunday:

Amer. Black Duck

Northern Pintail (NY side of the Lake Champlain)

Ring-necked Duck

Greater Scaup

Lesser Scaup

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Barrow's Goldeneye (on the VT side of Lake Champlain - photo on my Facebook
page)

Common Merganser

Red-breasted Merganser

Bald Eagle

Red-tailed Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk - both light and dark morph birds

Snowy Owl - 2 as we drove through Addison, VT (photo on my Facebook page)

Peregrine Falcon

Northern Shrike - juvenile (along a back road in Moriah)

Eastern Bluebird (both NY & VT)

Amer. Robin - many in VT

Cedar Waxwing

Snow Bunting - a huge flock (hundreds) at the Magic Triangle along Whallon's
Bay Road in Essex, and a smaller flock in Addison

Amer. Tree Sparrow

Red Crossbill - 3 in Minerva (1 solo male, and a pair)

Evening Grosbeak - 4 flyover birds in Minerva!  I have now found Evening
Grosbeaks on only 3 occasions this winter - all in Minerva (none at feeders
- very unusual)

Saturday, 2/15/14 Boreal habitat in Bloomingdale, Long Lake, and Minerva

Some of the species found on Saturday:

Ruffed Grouse

Bald Eagle

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2; 1 female observed and another bird nearby
giving the "rattle" call - they were disturbed by a Gray Jay and later, by a
Hairy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Northern Shrike - adult in the boreal habitat at Bloomingdale!

Gray Jay - at least 6 in Bloomingdale

Common Raven - we saw many, but we had a lovely view of a pair touching
bills near the Long Lake road-kill deer drop

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Amer. Tree Sparrow