2/22/14 Long Lake (northern Hamilton Co.)

Over hundreds of Amer. Goldfinches and a few Purple Finches, I suddenly
heard the distinctive, loud call notes of Red Crossbills on our baby monitor
(used to bring in outside sounds in winter)!  I raced to see them - they
were gritting in our driveway with several goldfinches.  The most exciting
part was observing a juvenile Red Crossbill gritting too!  It was right next
to a hovering adult male.  The adult female had just been observed and she
flew back up into a large white pine when the juvenile and male dropped
down.  So there was at least one juvenile with this pair.  They stayed for
about 10 minutes in a large white pine.  I just sent off 3 recordings to
Matt Young at Cornell.  I recorded from a second floor window that was
probably around 50 to 70 feet from the calling birds.  Unfortunately, my
scope was sitting inside the car near where the birds were gritting, so I
couldn't get a photo of the juvenile.  This observation really made my
day!!!

I have not yet observed any juvenile Red Crossbills in the Minerva area.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home