5/7/14 Long Lake locations (Hamilton Co.)

A male Black-backed Woodpecker was foraging on a dead snag late this
afternoon on the Northville-Placid Trail in Long Lake.  I captured several
videos of the foraging behavior and posted a couple short clips of the
woodpecker eating the larvae of wood-boring beetles on my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .  Another Black-backed Woodpecker
called nearby.  As I headed back to my car, a Northern Saw-whet Owl began
tooting!

Two Barred Owls awakened me this morning (it appears they will nest near our
home again this year) and an *Ovenbird sang at dawn.

At Sabattis Circle Road, I found a singing *Northern Waterthrush and
*Black-and-white Warbler.  A *Greater Yellowlegs flew in when I was at the
Little Tupper Lake outlet - it foraged at the edge of Bog Stream.  A
Green-winged Teal pair was near the outlet.  A Lincoln's Sparrow was singing
at Sabattis Bog.

A Snowshoe Hare was foraging along Route 30 in Long Lake this morning - now
in its summer brown coloration!

5/6/14 Bloomingdale area (Franklin & Essex Counties)

Ted Mack and I hiked in the Bloomingdale area yesterday.  On my nocturnal
drive to meet Ted, I heard *American Bitterns and *Wilson's Snipes at Tupper
Lake Marsh.  Some of the species found in Bloomingdale:

Ruffed Grouse

Broad-winged Hawk

Mourning Dove - it is remarkable how quickly this species is expanding in
the Adirondacks - even into boreal habitat!

Black-backed Woodpecker - one heard calling

Pileated Woodpecker - pair

Merlin - pair

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - at least 5 in 3 different locations

Boreal Chickadee - 5 (two different locations with 3 and 2)

Brown Thrasher

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler - nice view of a foraging male down low in a
bush

5/5/14 Long Lake

Along Sabattis Circle Road, *Chimney Swifts were observed heading north.
Coltsfoot was in bloom along the road - I added a photo to my Facebook page.

5/3/14 Long Lake

At 11 p.m. Saturday night, 4 Barred Owls could be heard vocalizing from our
house!

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY