5/28/14 Hamilton & Franklin Counties

A migrant Blackpoll Warbler vocalized outside our house yesterday.  I added
a photo of a singing Philadelphia Vireo to my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .  (My hands and other exposed
areas are covered in mosquito and black fly bites I got as I photographed
the bird!)  I also observed a Great Horned Owl carrying what looked like the
leg of something (likely Snowshoe Hare).  I will add a photo of the owl
later today.  I also encountered a Rusty Blackbird, which is becoming rarer
each year.

5/27/14 Essex & Franklin Counties

On a half-day tour with 3 birders from the Albany area, we found 61 species
in lowland boreal and mixed forest habitats (& a Red Fox walking down the
road!).  We had many nice views of warblers.  The highlight was observing a
family of Gray Jays with 3 juveniles.  The adults have a very loud
vocalization to call them in which I have observed several times now.  It
was fascinating to watch the juveniles learning so quickly from the adults.
One of the juveniles was hopping around the ground after a butterfly which
was very comical!  All the Gray Jays spent a great deal of time on the
ground flushing insects.  Here is our species list from the morning:

Canada Goose

Common Loon

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Mourning Dove

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - bird in its nest hole on eggs

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - many including 3 juveniles!

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow - adorable!

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Veery

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

European Starling

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

Amer. Redstart - nice views!

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler - nice views!

Canada Warbler - nice views!

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Indigo Bunting

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

5/25/14 Dawn Tour up Whiteface Mountain (Essex Co.)

On this season's first dawn tour up Whiteface Mountain, followed by lowland
boreal birding with a couple from Elmira, we found 67 species, including 19
warbler species.  We did a bit of nocturnal birding on the way to Whiteface
and found a tooting Northern Saw-whet Owl and calling Barred Owl in addition
to other nocturnal species.  We observed (& photographed) the Cape May
Warbler for at least a half hour in the Bloomingdale area (where I have
found them in past years also).  Here is our list:

Ruffed Grouse

Common Loon

Turkey Vulture

Northern Harrier

Broad-winged Hawk - 6

Red-tailed Hawk

Wilson's Snipe

Amer. Woodcock

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl - 1

Northern Saw-whet Owl - 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 5!

Merlin

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - many, including juveniles!  A female Black-backed Woodpecker
chased them.

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - up on Whiteface

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - many!  Several birds were singing and many were calling.

Swainson's Thrush - 2

Amer. Robin

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush - great views of a bird high on a dead snag!

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - great views (photo posted to my Facebook page - I will be
adding a video also)

Common Yellowthroat

Amer. Redstart

Cape May Warbler - 1 singing male!

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler - nice views!

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler - nice views!

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

We also observed a Porcupine and Snowshoe Hare on the summit of Whiteface!
We should have heard many Amer. Bitterns in marshes, but none were heard and
the marshes are still all completely flooded from recent rains.

5/24/14 St. Lawrence & Jefferson Counties

I had a wonderful night-day birding in the St. Lawrence Valley.  It was a
car birding trip from Winthrop all the way down to Chaumont Barrens.  Here
are just some of the birds found:

Pied-billed Grebe

American Bittern - pair that flew into a field near me and stood, with heads
pointed straight up, about 10 feet from each other!

Osprey

Northern Harrier

Virginia Rail - 2

Amer. Woodcock

Wilson's Snipe

Black Tern

Common Tern

Caspian Tern

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - flushed at Chaumont Barrens

Great Horned Owl - 1

Barred Owl - 7

Amer. Kestrel

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Alder Flycatcher

Willow Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Warbling Vireo

Marsh Wren

Veery

Wood Thrush

Brown Thrasher

Louisiana Waterthrush - northern Jefferson Co. near the border with St.
Lawrence Co.

Golden-winged Warbler - photo and video on my Facebook page

Blue-winged Warbler

Prairie Warbler - photo on my Facebook page

Field Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Grasshopper Sparrow - photos and video on my Facebook page

I hiked the 2 miles trail at Chaumont Barrens (Nature Conservancy preserve),
a unique Alvar habitat area in NYS.  This is the perfect time to visit for
wildflowers - I posted photos to my Facebook page.  It is a captivating,
peaceful place.  There were many Prairie Warblers found.

5/19/14, 5/21/14, 5/22/14 Baker Mt., Jackrabbit Trail, Boreal habitat of
Bloomingdale, and Intervale Lowlands

I spent 3 wonderful days with the Wildlife Conservation Society's field
staff last week.  I haven't tallied the species, but it was likely between
80 to 90.  The locations were chosen to include a wide variety of habitat
areas.  Juvenile Gray Jays were found - they fledge at the end of April, but
it is usually later in May when they first appear, and I often wonder what
they do for that unseen month!  The adults quickly called them away so it
was a very brief view.  Subsequent observations in the past week have been
much longer.  We also found Boreal Chickadees.  At Intervale, we found 65
species (there is an eBird report), including the first Mourning Warblers,
Great Crested Flycatchers, and a migrant Wood Thrush on the property this
year.

5/18/14 Whiteface Mountain

Larry Master and I found 9 calling Bicknell's Thrushes at dawn on Whiteface.
It was 32 degrees with strong winds!  There were 5 Swainson's Thrushes and 5
Amer. Robins also.  There was one Blackpoll Warbler heard.  We also found a
Boreal Chickadee.  Last year, I was on the summit on 5/19 and found the same
situation - Bicknell's Thrushes calling (8), but not yet singing.  (I also
noticed the same thing this year with Swainson's Thrushes as they arrived -
calling, but no singing.)

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell