5/29/14 Hamilton & Franklin Counties

I found Olive-sided Flycatchers at two remote areas in Spring Pond Bog.  On
the way home, I drove through Sabattis Circle Road and found two adult Gray
Jays foraging insects along the road.  I got out and began to photograph
them when I was completely covered in Black Flies!  The dinner hour is the
worst time for these insects, so I gave up the photographs!

5/30/14 Hamilton & St. Lawrence Counties

I found Olive-sided Flycatchers in two areas along the trail to Dead Creek
at Wanakena.  I did not find Rusty Blackbirds, but my hike was rained out,
so I'll try again soon.  A Mourning Warbler sang outside our house all day.
They have been a breeding species on our Long Lake property for at least a
decade and a half now.  I keep thinking the habitat is growing up too much,
but they keep returning!

5/31/14 Essex and Franklin Counties

On a tour with 3 people from Long Island, NY and 1 person from McLean
Virginia, we visited the following areas:  A dawn tour up Whiteface
Mountain, birding on the way to Bloomingdale, Bloomingdale and Spring Pond
Bog locations.  We encountered strong winds and blowing fog on Whiteface (&
it was cold - but no insects as a result!).  Many Bicknell's Thrushes sang
and called and we had a few glimpses of this elusive species.  We had lovely
views of a singing Mourning Warbler, male Black-backed Woodpecker, and
Olive-sided Flycatcher.  A Gray Fox was observed on our nocturnal drive to
Whiteface.  We found the following 70 species (including 19 warbler
species):

Canada Goose

Ruffed Grouse

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - nest cavity; foraging male in the Bloomingdale
area; another male in the Spring Pond Bog area

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Olive-sided Flycatcher - wonderful to see this bird and hear it singing!

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - heard

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay

Blue Jay

Amer. Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow - adorable!

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Veery

Bicknell's Thrush - many singing/calling birds with a few brief views

Swainson's Thrush

Amer. Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

Amer. Goldfinch

Jutta Arctic was the abundant butterfly at Bloomingdale Bog!  Late May is
the best time to find this species in our area.  I posted two photos to my
Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian .  (One taken on
5/31 and one on 6/1)  I think of Tom Fiore each year when I see this
butterfly - he was the one many years ago that told me all about the Jutta
Arctic!  I also posted two photos of the singing Olive-sided Flycatcher.

6/1/14 Hamilton, Essex, and Franklin Counties

On a tour with a man from McLean, Virginia, we visited the following areas:
Nocturnal birding at 4 locations in Hamilton and Franklin Counties, dawn
tour up Whiteface Mountain, birding on the way to Bloomingdale, Bloomingdale
and Spring Pond Bog locations.  We had clear, calm conditions on Whiteface
Mountain with a lovely sunrise.  Many Bicknell's Thrushes sang and called
and we had two nice views - I added 4 photos of one bird to my Facebook
page.  The nesting Boreal Chickadee was active and we observed it foraging
and vocalizing for several minutes.  We had wonderful, long views of a
Philadelphia Vireo for about an hour.  It stayed high in the aspens as it
foraged and sang, so our necks were sore!  Here are the 73 species found:

Canada Goose

Mallard

Ruffed Grouse

Common Loon - heard along Sabattis Circle Road

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Wilson's Snipe

Amer. Woodcock

Broad-winged Hawk

Ring-billed Gull

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl - 3 at the Little Tupper Lake outlet along Sabattis Circle Road
(a pair vocalizing back and forth and another owl on the opposite side of
the lake)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - nest cavity; and another bird calling near us and
flying overhead.

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - nice views!

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

Amer. Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - nice views of a vocalizing/foraging bird up on Whiteface
Mountain!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Veery

Bicknell's Thrush - many singing/calling birds with two nice views!

Swainson's Thrush

Amer. Robin

Gray Catbird

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

[...]

The other Jutta Arctic photo was taken on this man's binoculars!  It stayed
on his binoculars for several minutes!  In addition to the Bicknell's
Thrush, Jutta Arctic, and Olive-sided Flycatcher photos, I also added a
photo of a Pink Lady's Slipper (Wanakena), and a Great Horned Owl (Spring
Pond Bog) to my Facebook page.

6/4/14 Long Lake

The Mourning Warbler is singing away outside our house this morning, so it
looks like the aging habitat is still acceptable!

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home