On a tour with 3 birders from NYC & NJ this past Saturday, Sunday, and
Monday (6/7 through 6/9/14), we spent 2 days in boreal and mixed habitats
(Franklin & Essex Counties), and one day in the St. Lawrence Valley
(Jefferson & St. Lawrence Counties).  We found 126 species!  The list
included 21 warbler species, 5 vireo, 8 flycatcher, and 10 sparrow species.
Here are some of the species from our trips:

June 7, 2014 (Dawn tour up Whiteface Mountain and lowland boreal birding in
Bloomingdale and other mixed habitat areas)  Some of the 54 species found:

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 at nest hole & a "changing of the guard" at the
nest!

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Gray Jay

Cliff Swallow - adorable!

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird - several including a pair on Whiteface's summit!

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views!

Swainson's Thrush

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Indigo Bunting

Purple Finch

We began on Whiteface in the cold with blowing fog.  When the fog lifted,
the Black Flies came out in droves and I received more bites than I can ever
remember getting in my 18 years in the Adirondacks!  I added photos of a
female Black-backed Woodpecker, Bicknell's Thrush, and Magnolia Warbler from
this outing to my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian
.  It was fascinating to see how the male Black-backed Woodpecker called in
the female at their nest site.  He tapped inside the hole and the female
silently flew in.  She waited near the hole until the male flew out and then
she immediately took his place.  After the female took over, a Red Squirrel
began to vocalize nearby.  As I've observed in the past, the female reacted
and stuck her head out with bill pointed down.  Red Squirrels often predate
Black-backed Woodpecker nest sites.

June 8, 2014 (Trip to the St. Lawrence Valley including Perch River WMA,
DeKalb, and Upper-Lower Lakes WMA)  Some of the 91 species found:

Snow Goose - several pairs in different locations at Perch River!

Wood Duck

Ring-necked Duck

Common Merganser

Wild Turkey

Common Loon

Pied-billed Grebe

American Bittern - many!

Least Bittern - We had nice views (twice) of a flying bird at Perch River.
A couple days earlier, I found one in a different location at Perch River.

Green Heron

Black-crowned Night-Heron

Osprey

Broad-winged Hawk

Virginia Rail - nice views!

Common Gallinule

American Coot

Killdeer

Wilson's Snipe

American Woodcock

Caspian Tern

Black Tern - nice views!

Common Tern

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

American Kestrel

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Alder Flycatcher

Willow Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Yellow-throated Vireo

Warbling Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Sedge Wren - 2; with wonderful views of one in a field at Perch River!

Veery

Wood Thrush

Brown Thrasher

Ovenbird

Golden-winged Warbler - nice views!

Blue-winged Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Eastern Towhee

Field Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Grasshopper Sparrow - nice views!

Swamp Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager

Northern Cardinal

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Eastern Meadowlark

Baltimore Oriole

I photographed the singing Sedge Wren with my scope and iPhone adapter.
There was something on the wren's neck.  That night, when I moved the photos
to my computer, it was clearly apparent that the wren had a tick on its
neck.  It seemed to bother the bird and it kept poking at its feathers below
the tick with its bill.  I added photos of the bird to my Facebook page.

It was nice to meet Lee Ellsworth, Watertown birder, at Perch River on
Sunday!

June 9, 2014 (Massawepie road (not the mire) owling and dawn birding, and
Spring Pond Bog)  Here are some of the 70 species found:

Ruffed Grouse - with brand new young!

Wild Turkey - also with young!

Common Loon - vocalizing on Massawepie Lake in the dark!

Broad-winged Hawk

Barred Owl - vocalizing from across Massawepie Lake

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Great Crested Flycatcher

Philadelphia Vireo

Gray Jay - 2 adults with a juvenile!

Boreal Chickadee - a pair with food for young! (The food looked like a small
inch and a half long caterpillar!)

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Veery

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

Wood Thrush

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Lincoln's Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager - nice views!

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Purple Finch - nice views!

I added a photo of lovely Spring Pond Bog with a carpet of cotton-grass and
two photos of Labrador Tea in bloom to my Facebook page.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home