Late July to early August sightings in Hamilton, Essex, and Franklin
Counties

Vocal activity for many species substantially dropped between the 3rd and
4th weeks of July.  Chris Rimmer and I have compared notes on vocal activity
between Mount Mansfield in VT, and Whiteface Mountain in NY.  We have had
similar experiences.  Swainson's Thrushes were still in full song the 3rd
week of July and completely shut down by the 4th week (not even a call note)
even though they are still there (at high and low elevation areas).  On July
30th, Bicknell's Thrushes all began calling around 5 a.m., and abruptly shut
down within about 5 minutes!  It is fascinating to observe vocal patterns
for all bird species through their breeding cycles.

Around our Long Lake home, Barred Owls are heard nearly every night (plenty
of small rodents this year).  Broad-winged Hawks are still calling.  Hermit
Thrushes are still singing (they shut down at the end of the 2nd week of
August each year, so not much time left to listen to that beautiful sound).
Eastern Wood-Pewees were in a vocal mode yesterday - this species' vocal
patterns over the season are perplexing (along with many other flycatcher
species).  Also yesterday, a Common Raven sauntered up our driveway.  It
marched to a spot near our house at the edge of our driveway and picked up a
paper thin, driveway-killed American Toad and proceeded to eat it.  Their
ability to notice such things is remarkable.

There appears to be a good cone crop on Balsam Fir and White Pine trees.  I
haven't noticed any new cones on spruce species.  (I will check tamarack and
hemlock soon.)

If you like to observe mushrooms, this is a banner year!  It has been rather
wet, and the variety and colors of mushrooms are spectacular.

Here are sightings from recent trips:

On a July 30,2014 dawn tour up Whiteface Mountain with 3 birders (2 from
Florida and 1 from NYC), followed by lowland boreal birding in the
Bloomingdale area, we found the following species:

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Northern Harrier

Mourning Dove

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nice views

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 different males in the Bloomingdale area

Northern Flicker

Merlin - 2

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - nice views on Whiteface!

Alder Flycatcher - many, and still singing!

Eastern Phoebe - several

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Barn Swallow - several

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - ~8! (6 on Whiteface including a family group of 4, and 2
in the Bloomingdale area)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren - many, and still singing!

Golden-crowned Kinglet - many

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - several on Whiteface

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - many heard calling at dawn; several fly-by views, and
one perched view

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat - nice views!

Blackpoll Warbler - many, and still singing!

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow - still singing!

Dark-eyed Junco

American Goldfinch

I hiked the Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake on 7/29/14 and posted
photos to my Facebook page.  On July 27, 2014, an Eastern Kingbird was
fly-catching near Shaw Pond in Long Lake.  Along Sabattis Circle Road, I
found a Broad-winged Hawk, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Hairy Woodpecker,
Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker, Olive-sided Flycatcher, and Tree
Swallow among many warbler species.

On a July 24, 2014 tour in Long Lake and Tupper Lake (Hamilton and Franklin
Counties) with a birder from Rochester, we found the following species:

Wood Duck - Tupper Lake (marshy area)

Amer. Black Duck - L. Wolf Pond

Mallard - several families

Common Merganser - a couple families (Simon Pond and Grampus Lake at John
Dillon Park)

Ruffed Grouse - Spring Pond Bog

Common Loon - 3 (2 on Little Wolf Pond, and 1 on Little Tupper Lake)

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle

Broad-winged Hawk

Ring-billed Gull

Mourning Dove

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - afraid of the Bald-faced Hornets on the birch
tree holes created by the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers!

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - several! (family at Sabattis Bog and a juvenile
at Spring Pond Bog)

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male at Sabattis Bog being chased by the
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers

Northern Flicker

Olive-sided Flycatcher - vocalizing at Sabattis Bog - we had a nice view!

Alder Flycatcher - marsh at the outlet of Little Tupper Lake

Least Flycatcher - Spring Pond Bog

Eastern Kingbird - nice view at Simon Pond at the pull-off

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 8! (4 at Sabattis Bog, and 4 at Spring Pond Bog)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler - Sabattis Bog

Pine Warbler - Spring Pond Bog & Little Wolf Pond

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

We also took the electric pontoon boat ride on Grampus Lake at John Dillon
Park (recharged by solar panels)!

On a July 22, 2014 dawn tour up Whiteface Mountain with a birder from Long
Island, NY, followed by lowland boreal birding (Hamilton, Franklin, and
Essex Counties), we found the following species:

Ruffed Grouse

American Bittern

Osprey

Northern Harrier

Broad-winged Hawk - several

Ring-billed Gull

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - chased by Bald-faced Hornets!

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - at feeding holes in a birch attracting bees,
insects, and the hummingbird!

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin - Whiteface

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - nice views

Alder Flycatcher - nice views

Least Flycatcher - nice views

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - nice views of 2 (photos of a "drab" individual on my
Facebook page)

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

Amer. Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - nice views on Whiteface Mountain, more heard in the
Bloomingdale area

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - many on Whiteface with one nice view

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

Amer. Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler - adult female followed by a continuously begging
juvenile!

Blackpoll Warbler - on Whiteface

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler - nice views

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Amer. Goldfinch

There was a Smooth Greensnake at the Bloomingdale Bog trailhead!

On July 19, 2014, I once again coordinated coverage of 14-mile Long Lake for
the Annual Adirondack Loon Census.  This year, we had 10 boating parties (a
few in canoes, but mostly motor boats).  We tallied 15 Common Loons, with 6
loons south of the bridge over Long Lake, and 9 north of the bridge.  An
after-count breakfast was held at Phil Terrie's remote, north end camp for
26 loon counters!

On July 17, 2014, I hiked part of the Roosevelt Truck Trail in Minerva.  I
observed a Winter Wren taking a dirt bath (in the root area of a downed
tree) for a long time!  I caught some of the behavior on a video and added
one of the photos of the Winter Wren covered in dirt to my Facebook page.  I
also spotted a Ruffed Grouse family and many mushrooms!

I added many photos to my Facebook page
(https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian ) yesterday:  Roosevelt Truck
Trail, Least Flycatcher, Philadelphia Vireo, boreal birds from 7/24,
Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake, Black-backed Woodpecker from 7/30,
along with photos of the spectacular sunrise on Whiteface Mountain that day.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home