Red Crossbills continue to be abundant in the boreal habitat of the central
Adirondacks (western Essex Co. and Hamilton Co.).  They are traveling in
flocks and feeding fledglings!  I sent Matt Young several recordings and he
identified Red Crossbill Types 1, 3, and 10.  (All from one location.)  Pine
Siskins are starting to move in.

I hiked a newly cut trail to Wolf Pond in the North Hudson area (Essex Co.)
that begins on the Blueridge Road at the Boreas River Bridge on Aug. 30th
(see species below).  The DEC hopes to officially "open" the trail in
November - the SCA (Student Conservation Association) crew is doing
finishing touches this fall.  Trail markers and signs will be added.  It is
state land and can be hiked now.  The trail is 2.4 miles long (4.8 miles
round trip).  The trail has terrific boreal habitat (& birds!).  There is a
brand new lean-to located along the trail by the pond.  I blogged this trail
(with lots of photos) and as soon as it is published, I will post the link.
Five of us paddled to Wolf Pond on 9/12 - it was quite an "adventure" (3
bushwhack canoe carries in thick boreal habitat and several Beaver dams to
get over along Wolf Pond Brook!).  It was wonderful to be at scenic Wolf
Pond with a boat this time around.  There are fantastic views of the High
Peaks.

A displaying American Woodcock on 9/19 was quite a surprise!

Sightings from the past few weeks:

9/23/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

On this hot day, I hiked the Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake (very
shaded) in the afternoon.  I found a pair of foraging Black-backed
Woodpeckers and watched them for 2 hours.  The female would occasionally
move trees and then very quietly drum.  The male would then follow and
forage in the trees that the female had just left!  It was interesting to
observe this behavior - the female was definitely deciding on where they
would forage the entire time I observed them. (I've been off Facebook for
several months, but I just posted a photo of the male woodpecker.)  A
juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was around them for a while also.  Two
different Winter Wrens were found calling along the trail.  I was chatting
back and forth with one on my way out when I looked up to see a couple
hiking in!  They didn't have binoculars, and I decided I wouldn't try to
explain my behavior because I'm sure they thought I was crazy!  I also
observed a Black-throated Blue Warbler.

9/22/17 Long Lake

I found 6 Gray Jays along Sabattis Circle Road (3 at the Round Lake
Trailhead and 3 at Sabattis Bog).  I observed many Palm Warblers, 1
Nashville Warbler, and many Yellow-rumped Warblers.

9/20/17 - A group of 8 Common Loons together on Long Lake - preening and
diving.

Out birding on 9/19/17 in North Hudson, Minerva, Newcomb, Long Lake, and
Tupper Lake locations, we found the following 53 species:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Mallard

Ring-necked Duck

Ruffed Grouse - Rock Pond area

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - Shaw Pond

Sandhill Crane - 3! (family group along Stetson Road eating apples!)

American Woodcock - displaying on our drive out of the Spring Pond Bog
Preserve in the evening!!!

Common Loon - 2 (adult with a young bird on Simon Pond in Tupper Lake)

Double-crested Cormorant - Rock Pond

Great Blue Heron

Bald Eagle - adult over Tupper Lake

Belted Kingfisher

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 4! (2 calling back and forth on opposite sides of
the Hudson River along Santanoni Dr. (Newcomb) and 2 by the Roosevelt Truck
Trail along Route 28N (Minerva) - one flew over us (one gave the rattle
call))

Northern Flicker - many!

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin - over Tupper Lake

Blue-headed Vireo - many

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 4 (3 at Sabattis Bog in Long Lake, and 1 heard near the Sand Pond
Marsh in North Hudson)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - many! (easily over 20 with flocks in North Hudson
(several flocks), Minerva, and Newcomb)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper - singing

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - many, including fledglings!  (the most abundant species that
day!) (some singing)

American Goldfinch

Tennessee Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat - singing!

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler - one singing!

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler - singing!

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow - singing at dawn (Shaw Pond)

White-throated Sparrow - singing

Dark-eyed Junco

When I left my home pre-dawn that morning, many Swainson's Thrushes were
calling as they landed from their nocturnal flights.  I found it interesting
that we didn't hear any calling during the day when it appeared there had
been a large overnight flight for this species.

9/18/17 Long Lake - Bay-breasted Warbler in our yard at dawn.  I found 4
Gray Jays along Sabattis Circle Road - (2 at the Little Tupper Lake inlet
area and 2 at the Round Lake Trailhead).

9/17/17 Long Lake - A Hermit Thrush gave one song at dawn (rare to hear
singing after mid-August) - lovely!

I observed an odd behavior on both 9/17 and 9/16/17 in the evening around 10
p.m.  Two nights in a row, I seemed to disturb a roosting Dark-eyed Junco
near the edge of our driveway and it flew to another spot using my
headlights!

9/14/17 Long Lake - 8 Gray Jays along Sabattis Circle Road (1 at the Little
Tupper Lake inlet area, 4 at the Round Lake Trailhead, and 3 at Sabattis
Bog)

Ellie George, her dog Maple, and I went birding the morning of 9/13/17 in
the North Hudson, Newcomb, and Minerva areas.  We found the following 34
species:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (last date observed)

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 at the Route 28N marsh in Newcomb

Northern Flicker

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - Santanoni Dr. in Newcomb

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - many!

Pine Siskin - 1 along the railroad bed in Minerva (with Red Crossbills)

American Goldfinch

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Bay-breasted Warbler - off Santanoni Dr.

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Song Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager - female - nice view!

9/12/17 Wolf Pond Brook canoe to Wolf Pond (North Hudson, Essex Co.)

Evelyn Greene, Bonnie Vicki, Amy Vedder, Fuat Latif, and I paddled to Wolf
Pond via Wolf Pond Brook (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.).  I found more birds by hiking
the new trail at an earlier hour, but we still found Red Crossbills calling
along the brook and 7 Boreal Chickadees (2 different flocks of 5 and at
least 2).  An American Kestrel hunted the bog at the edge of Wolf Pond and 2
Belted Kingfishers flew around together among many other expected species.

9/11/17 Long Lake & Tupper Lake (Franklin Co.)

I birded for a few hours in Long Lake and Tupper Lake.  Here are a few of
the 47 species found that day:

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse - 3 (female with 2 older young on Sabattis Circle Road)

Pied-billed Grebe - Shaw Pond in Long Lake

Sandhill Crane - family of 3 in Tupper Lake along Stetson Road

Bald Eagle - adult over Route 30 in Long Lake

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Barred Owl - outside our home

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - juvenile outside our home

Black-backed Woodpecker - marsh along Route 30 in Long Lake

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - 6 (3 at Sabattis Bog, and 3 in the Spring Pond Bog Preserve)

Winter Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Gray Catbird - 2

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Bay-breasted Warbler - 3 in the Spring Pond Bog Preserve (I got some nice
photos - will post to Facebook)

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Palm Warbler - many

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Wilson's Warbler - male - lovely!  (It was foraging in habitat in the Spring
Pond Bog Preserve that looked exactly like its' nesting habitat.)

Lincoln's Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

There was a Beaver swimming around at Shaw Pond.

9/10/17 Newcomb locations and a hike of the East River Trail to Lake Sally

I planned to hike the East River Trail to Lake Sally and stopped to bird at
a few locations in Newcomb on the drive.  A few of the species found:

American Black Duck

Common Merganser

Common Loon - on Lake Jimmy

Belted Kingfisher

Black-backed Woodpecker - male along Route 28N (where I was observing Red
Crossbills)

Gray Jay - 2 by the golf course along Santanoni Dr.

Boreal Chickadee - 2 along Tahawus Road

Red Crossbill - ~35! (~30 along Route 28N just past the intersection with
the Blueridge Road, and ~5 along Tahawus Road)  I observed fledglings being
fed and many flocks on both sides of the road.  I ignored the Black-backed
Woodpecker to watch the Red Crossbills, and when I went back to my car, the
woodpecker was only about 20 to 30 feet away!

Pine Siskin - singing among the Red Crossbills on Route 28N

Blackpoll Warbler - trail

Black-throated Blue Warbler - trail

Black-throated Green Warbler - trail

9/9/17 Long Lake

A Great Horned Owl was hunting midday at Minnow Pond along Route 30 in Long
Lake near the entrance to Sabattis Circle Road (which might explain why the
Osprey chicks disappeared this year).  I found 2 Merlins near the Little
Tupper Lake inlet along Sabattis Circle Road.  Two Gray Jays called, but
wouldn't come over for food with the Merlins in the area.  There were 2 more
Gray Jays at the Round Lake Trailhead and many Palm Warblers at Sabattis
Bog.

9/7/17 Long Lake

I found a singing Red Crossbill near the Little Tupper Lake inlet along
Sabattis Circle Road.  Six Gray Jays along the road (groups of 2, 1, and 3),
Cedar Waxwing family, Black-backed Woodpecker and Palm Warblers at Sabattis
Bog, and Eastern Bluebirds in hamlet of Long Lake.

9/2/17 Massawepie Mire bike trip (St. Lawrence Co.)

I biked at Massawepie to Silver Brook in the afternoon.  I stopped on the
drive to check Deer Pond - I observed an adult Common Loon with an older
chick - so the nest that I posted in June, that was on a log at the edge of
the road, worked out!  Blackberries were ripe and it was so distracting on
the drive-in, that I nearly ran out of time for the bike ride!  I had a
beautiful "forest bathing" experience (if you are not familiar with this,
you can google it!) at Silver Brook (one of my favorite places).  I laid
under a huge White Pine watching the ripples from Silver Brook reflected on
the branches and needles above me (it was mesmerizing) and I observed the
insects/arachnids going about their lives all around me.I listened to birds
and crickets.I slept.anyway, it was lovely!  (I was telling my younger son
about Forest Bathing and that it is popular among Millenials like himself.
He had a long, very funny response, and said it sounded more like a
"60s-thing"!  He may be right!)  It is always hard to leave Massawepie!
Here are some of the species found:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Sandhill Crane - family of 3 along Dugal Road in Tupper Lake (on my drive)

Common Loon - adult with chick on Deer Pond along Massawepie Rd.

Broad-winged Hawk - 2

Black-backed Woodpecker - female just before Silver Brook (yelling at 2
Common Ravens)

Northern Flicker

Eastern Phoebe - 2

Gray Jay - 2 by the Little Tupper Lake inlet (on my drive)

Winter Wren

Hermit Thrush

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Lincoln's Sparrow - just 1! Nice view!

Common Grackle - huge flock observed on my drive home along Route 30 in
Tupper Lake

8/30/17 Wolf Pond Trail in North Hudson (Essex Co.)

This is the trail I described above.  Species from the hike:

Common Loon - 1

Double-crested Cormorant - 3

Broad-winged Hawk - 2

Belted Kingfisher - 1

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 3 (1 female foraging near an old ATV trail on the
southeastern side of the pond, and 2 males foraging close together in a tree
behind the new lean-to (not too far from the female) - I assume it was an
adult male with a young male)

Northern Flicker

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 5 (two different groups of 3 and 2)

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 5 (two different flocks of at least 2 and 3)

Red-breasted Nuthatch - several

Brown Creeper - several

Winter Wren - many including one singing

Golden-crowned Kinglet - many

Swainson's Thrush - several

Hermit Thrush - several

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - many (particularly in the first half of the hike)

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird - nice view!

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler - nice view!

Black-throated Blue Warbler - singing

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Song Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home